Friday, April 27, 2012

#1: Inspired by true events.

The sky was tinted orange and the leaves rustled among the wind. The first drop of rain had just pierced through the night sky and before you knew it, the city was shrouded in darkness by a heavy downpour. I looked out the window, took a deep breath and stepped out the door. The zombies were nowhere to be seen due to the rain. Or maybe they were there but i just couldn't see them. "This is it.", i thought to myself. "It's now or never." I made sure the coast is clear and with my target vaguely in sight, i bolted off. I ran as fast as my legs could take me. Suddenly, a sharp pain in my stomach grabbed onto me, urging me to give up. The hunger was overwhelming. "No, not now Jasmin! You're gonna make it. It's so close." I quickly diverted that pain by concentrating on the task at hand: Getting to the store. 

After what seems like an eternity, i made it! I stumbled into the store, landing face first on the concrete floor. "That would've been embarrassing if there were actually people around." i thought to myself. I chortled and got back on my feet, shaking off the water on me as i go. The store was pretty much the same as it was before. Only that this time, the shelves were empty, broken lights were hanging off the ceiling, the wallpaper was peeling off, the friendly old lady at the counter was gone and of course, the world has ended. I could feel this pinch of sadness building up inside me so i erased that thought and moved on to the next task at hand: Finding something to eat and drink.

I clumsily rummaged through the shelves and boxes. NOTHING! I pushed on. Halfway through and still nothing. "Have i went through all that for nothing?" i thought to myself. I punched the shelved beside me in a moment of fury and something fell from the top and hit me hard on the head. "ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?!" i screamed. I looked to see what hit me and it was a bottle of water. In disbelief, i slowly approached it while rubbing my eyes a few times to make sure i wasn't hallucinating. My hands slowly reached out and finally came in contact with the bottle. I held it tight and close to me like it was my own baby. "Finally..." i thought to myself. 

Just as i was about to break open the bottle and savor the goodness within, i heard a moan coming from the other end of the store. ZOMBIES! How could i have forgotten that i was still in a zombie apocalypse?! All i was thinking about was the food and i have completely forgotten about the other more dangerous thing! Even though all i got was a bottle of water, it was enough. I wasn't going to risk my life. Thankfully it hasn't spotted me so i had the chance to slip out the front door and ran back to the safe house. I quickly shut the door behind me and heaved a sigh of relief. Holding the bottle triumphantly, i popped open the top and carefully eased it towards my lips, making sure not to make any spills. As the water flowed down my throat, i leaned my head back and basked in the moment of satisfaction. Who knew water could taste so good?

-Jasmin

No comments:

Post a Comment